Thursday, September 12, 2013

Orange Is The New Crack

Tonight we wanted something quick and wholesome for dinner. We had some sweet potatoes from the farmer's market that I cubed and baked in the oven for about 20-30 minutes. I steamed some tempeh that I also cubed and added to the sweet potatoes in the oven. While that was cooking I put on some brown rice. In the past I have had some trouble getting rice to come out the way I like it, it either either too gooey or too crunchy. What vegan can't cook rice you ask? Oh hi, nice to meet you. Anyways, I have recently found that cooking rice like you would pasta works perfectly. If you have stupid rice issues like me give it a shot! You basically fill your medium sized pot about 3/4 with water, bring to a boil and add your rice. Do not cover! Check it after about 20 minutes, if done, turn off heat, drain, add back in the pot with the lid on for a few minutes. Easy peasy. 
Back to the dish, while the potatoes and tempeh were baking I chopped up some kale and green onions, and grated some carrot. I lightly oiled the kale and tossed it in with the potatoes when they were almost done baking along some crystal's hot sauce and a butt load of nooch. When it was done baking I added the carrots and green onions. Pile it onto the brown rice and you got a seriously good meal. Add more hot sauce if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment