Thursday, September 26, 2013

Wiener-schnitzel with Mushroom Gravy

I didn't set out to make wiener-schnitzel when I first made this years ago, I was just looking to make a cutlet similar to the famous chickpea cutlet of PPK fame but more like chicken patty consistency. Confused? Me too. Instead of chickpeas I use white beans, like great northern, but any creamy white bean will do. The only other things I do different from the chickpea cutlet recipe is I don't add the breadcrumbs to the bean mix, I leave it out and coat the patties with it prior to cooking and I change up the seasoning to suit whatever recipe I am making. We absolutely love this recipe and it always turns out well so we make it often. On this occasion we served it with a mushroom and onion gravy that perfectly offsets the crispiness of the patties. Add a simple salad and some leftover mac-n-cheeze and you got comfort food, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a great variation on the modern vegan classic that is the chickpea cutlet! I made them with red kidney beans once, and they looked kind of... festive in a good way, with flecks of red.

    ReplyDelete